September 19, 2018 | By Rachel P.
What is a Keto Diet?
The Ketogenic Diet is a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet – and it’s seriously all the craze. In any case, it’s working for a lot of people and helping them stay healthy and well, so whatever, let’s just jump on the bandwagon. When eating a Ketogenic Diet, your body depletes glycogen. When this happens, your liver starts to use fat by producing Ketone bodies for fuel – cool huh? Benefits of the Keto diet include weight loss, neurological function benefits, and improvements to heart health!
Here’s some tips to get you going!
- 65-75% of your daily calories should come from fats on the Keto Diet – sounds too good to be true, but it is.
- 20-30% should come from protein – use meat substitutes if you have meat restrictions!
- Carbs are only allowed at about 5% of your daily calories (including from fruit and veggies!) so tread lightly in the carb zone
- Have you been told breakfast is the most important meal of the day? Reduced hunger is common on the keto diet, so skip the old saying if you’re not hungry!
- Daily meal planning is as simple as pairing up some protein with a salad or vegetables.
- Go ahead and butter it up or sprinkle the cheese on, keto approves!
Need Easy prep Keto Snacks? Try these!
- Hard boiled eggs
- Peanut butter and celery
- Ham and cheese (or cream cheese) roll ups – drool.
- Baked parmesan chips
- Beef or turkey jerky
- Yogurt and berries (skip the granola!)
- Sugar free chocolate
- Veggies and guacamole (try it with zucchini chips!)